Since I've moved to Texas, I have been missing Trader Joe's tremendously. One of the things I loved to get there was their already-made pizza dough. It came in white or wheat, it cost 99 cents, you rolled it out, filled it and baked it, and it was so easy for quick weeknight-pizza. This week though, I found this recipe in the book that came with my KitchenAid mixer. It is very easy and very delicious! Problem solved!
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. olive oil
2 1/2-3 1/2 cups all purpose-flour
1 Tbsp. cornmeal
Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add salt and olive oil, and start with about 2 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix about 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, about 1/4 cup at a time until dough clings to side of hook and cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead on speed 2 about 2 minutes longer. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down. Brush 14-in. pizza pan with olive oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Press or roll dough across pan, forming a collar around the edge to hold toppings. Add toppings and bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes.
Note: The original recipe says to start out with 2 1/2 cups flour and then keep adding, but I think it just calls for too much flour. You just add enough to get the right consistency. Also, you can add a little wheat flour to give it a nutty/crunchy flavor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Okay, I will give it a try. But Trader Joe's still has my heart.
BTW, what a fun blog. I'm going to have to bookmark it and check back again! Thanks ;)
Post a Comment