23.11.09

Gingery Apple Crumb Pie

From November's issue of "Real Simple." Very easy and very good!

1 piecrust, store-bought or homemade fitted into a 9-inch pie plate
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour, spooned and leveled
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 lbs. apples (about 5; such as Granny Smith, Braeburn or Empire) peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

Set an oven rack in the lowest position and heat oven to 375. Place the pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet. In a food processor, pulse the butter, 3/4 cup of the flour, and 1/4 cup of the sugar until large clumps appear. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. In a large bowl, toss the apples, ginger, cinnamon, salt and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. of flour. Transfer the apple mixture to the crust, sprinkle with the crumb topping, and bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender, about 55 to 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: I used Granny Smith apples, and I didn't have fresh ginger, so I substituted 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, but you can add more if you want it more gingery. I also heard that adding Apple Pie Spice is good, but my store was out of it, so I didn't add it. I also made it the day ahead and covered it loosely with foil and stored it on the counter.

No comments: