
So we all have our own Thanksgiving favorite recipes, you know, the one that if it weren't there it wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving. Mine is yams. My mom has been making these yams ever since I can remember, and they are the BEST!
Now I know what 80-90% of you are thinking...you don't
like sweet potatoes, or yams. And this is why I'm posting this recipe, so I can convert the world into yam lovers! But first, a few clarifications: one of the reasons why people don't like them, is because they are buying sweet potatoes, not yams (yams are usually bigger, longer, and deeper in orange color, meaning, more flavor); the second reason they don't like them is because they are made the wrong way. Most people boil them. To think of that makes my stomach turn. The secret is to buy yams and to bake them, just as you would a baked potato. The baking seals in the flavor and doesn't boil it away. Also, too many people make them with too many ingredients: cream, cinnamon, milk, etc etc. For this recipe, you will need the following:
Yams (about 1-2 large per person, if you want leftovers)
Some orange juice
a 2-lb. bag of brown sugar
1 bag mini marshmellows
That's it!
So let's begin!

After piercing your yams with a fork, bake them in a 350-375 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes. Test them with a fork. You want them to be cooked and tender, but not too overdone. You want them to be firm, not mushy. Also, if you haven't already done so, I would line my oven with foil at the bottom, because once the yams start cooking, they drip their yummy juice and it can be a little messy. When they've finished cooking, I usually put them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight so they can firm up before I peel and cut them.

Peel off the skin and slice your yams. I like to slice mine lengthwise, but you can slice them any way you want!

Next, take a casserole dish...

and pour enough orange juice on the bottom just to coat the bottom of the dish.

Next, start layering your yams, and sprinkle brown sugar on them. Now I don't know how much sugar to use, but the more the better. You'll need a lot more than you think you will.

Yummy....

Then sprinkle some marshmellows on top. Repeat this process until all the yams are in the dish.

Now take your dish and bake it in about a 375 degree oven for about an hour or so. The sugar will carmelize, the marshmellows will melt, and it will turn into a sugary-yummy yammy treat.

The finished product. Now you can make this the day ahead, and then just reheat them the day of Thanksgiving dinner. I've also been known to taste them and add more brown sugar, which is what I did here. I like them
sweet and when I say sweet, I mean
icky sweet.

Gobble gobble! You must try them. Must! I will make a yam-lover out of you yet!
3 comments:
AWESOME!!!!! I love your cute thanksgiving plate!
this looks amazing!!
such beautiful hands! Did you hire a model? :)
Post a Comment