2.12.08

Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake

For Enrichment tonight, I signed up to bring some gingerbread cake. I didn't have a recipe, so I just looked this one up online. And it was pretty good so I thought I'd share! I like it because it's moist and not too sweet, and everyone should already have the ingredients ready to whip up in their pantry (no shopping required.) I sprinkled some powdered sugar on the top, and voila! Nothing says Christmas like Gingerbread.

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg and mix in the molasses.
3. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture and add the hot water. Pour into prepared pan.
4. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.

No comments: