3.10.08

Jonya's "Cure All" Potatoe Cheese Soup

It's starting to get cold. Which means that cold/flu season is on it's way. Whenever I feel so disgustingly ill, this soup is cures all my ills! In our family, we swear that it cures cancer because I promise, you will be 100% better the next day! It's a tried and true recipe my mom used to make us when we were little. Plus it is absolutely delicious!

2 carrots chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 stick of butter
4-5 large peeled potatoes
5 chicken bullion cubes (only if you don't use the chicken stock or chicken broth)
about 1 cup cheddar cheese
Dill to taste (probably about a couple tablespoons)
Salt and pepper to taste

Home-made chicken stock: (if short on time, just use the canned stuff, or you can do water and bullion cubes)
2 chicken breasts
a couple stalks of celery
salt and pepper
water

boil until chicken is cooked. Let cool. Set aside. (You can use your cooked chicken for another recipe like chicken sandwiches or something)
If you're my mother (a purist when it comes to food), the first step you'll take is to make home made chicken stock, if not, just used canned chicken broth

Now for the soup:
Cook carrots, onion, and butter in chicken stock on low for about 20 minutes. Add potatoes, bullion cubes (1 cube to every 1 cup of water) or stock and enough water/stock to cover the potatoes. Boil on high for about 30 minutes. After that, put the soup in a blender to puree to a smooth consistency. Put back in pot, add cheese, dill, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with some french bread. You will be healed! I think I'll make some this conference Sunday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really loved this soup. It will be a family favorite for a long time, thank you!

Erika Sullivan said...

Hey Dan Quayle, you spelled "potato" wrong! Haha!